Quantopian's community platform is shutting down. Please read this post for more information and download your code.
Back to Community
RIP Live Trading - Here was my best backtesting algo

Now that live-trading is gone, I have a bunch of algos that don't have any purpose any longer.

I briefly live-traded this algo before it crapped out my Robinhood account due to the order history becoming unmanageably huge, which in turn was crashing the RH-Q sync process. Real-life results weren't as great as in the backtest. (The backtest result is quite a bit inflated due to a bug I discovered in Q.) But it nonetheless looked promising. Backtests over other time periods (2008, etc.) look the same, but since it places so many trades the Q backtester would always poop out before completing a longer backtest.

At its heart it's a simple long-only algorithm that uses a SMA as a signal -- nothing special there, and definitely lots of room for improvement -- but I think the ingenuity had to do with timing entry and exits and dynamically managing risk and position size -- and I think those concepts could potentially be adapted to improve performance of a robust institutional-level trading signal. As is though this algorithm doesn't work at above $1m, nor is it really feasible on another platform (nor did it work on Q for more than a couple weeks), since it places hundreds and hundreds of small bets.

So... a dead end with a beautiful chart, and some lessons learned.

1 response

Here's tearsheet for a updated version of my Support-Resistance algorithm that I previously posted to the forum. This one also suffers the that the backtest is inaccurate. I think those issues could have been resolved though. By live-trading and watching the trades go through (or not) I was seeing first-hand what the incongruities were, and it seemed like a lot of it was resolvable if you'd account for it in the algo. The stats are amazing for a long-only algo -- it's basically market neutral and goes only up. This one seems though not really adaptable for institutional-level trading, and now that live trading is gone has become worthless.