Quantopian's community platform is shutting down. Please read this post for more information and download your code.
Back to Community
Momentum Trading

Hello Guys,

Can someone please throw more light on how to improve this algorithm? I want to live trade using the momentum strategy and so want to reduce the max drawdown. Also, I want to filter the stocks using the market_cap() parameter but I believe that market_cap data can be found using Morningstar fundamental data but I guess the fundamental data cannot run in the live trading environment. So is there any function to find out the no. of shares outstanding without making use of fundamental data.

I even want to understand what happens in live trading when my return goes negative? While backtesting, you will see that the algorithm goes to a low of -29% during the first half of the trading period but the backtest continues till the end and finally generates positive returns. But what will happen if my return goes to a -30% during live trading. Will the algo continue to run or stop? Please provide me an in-depth explanation.

Also, please provide your suggestions to get higher returns and make this algorithm to be better at risk management.

Awaiting brilliant suggestions ;)

Thank you.