Quantopian's community platform is shutting down. Please read this post for more information and download your code.
Back to Community
--- Error Execution timeout.

When compiling my algorithm I am getting the Execution timeout error multiple tries, but sometimes it runs, so I think is the servers fault. I have divided it in multiple parts so it will not need so much processing power, but I still get the error.
Can I get some help or suggestions, please?

6 responses

Could you invite me to collaborate on the algo? My email is [email protected], I'll take a look at what's going on

Disclaimer

The material on this website is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute an offer to sell, a solicitation to buy, or a recommendation or endorsement for any security or strategy, nor does it constitute an offer to provide investment advisory services by Quantopian. In addition, the material offers no opinion with respect to the suitability of any security or specific investment. No information contained herein should be regarded as a suggestion to engage in or refrain from any investment-related course of action as none of Quantopian nor any of its affiliates is undertaking to provide investment advice, act as an adviser to any plan or entity subject to the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974, as amended, individual retirement account or individual retirement annuity, or give advice in a fiduciary capacity with respect to the materials presented herein. If you are an individual retirement or other investor, contact your financial advisor or other fiduciary unrelated to Quantopian about whether any given investment idea, strategy, product or service described herein may be appropriate for your circumstances. All investments involve risk, including loss of principal. Quantopian makes no guarantees as to the accuracy or completeness of the views expressed in the website. The views are subject to change, and may have become unreliable for various reasons, including changes in market conditions or economic circumstances.

Ok, sure! Thanks! It is a screener for another algo, so currently I don't use it for live trading. You will see the details there. It has about 9000 lines of code.
I think that the markets weren't open yet the last time that it was executed successfully (yesterday, on the 8th of June) , so the servers were not used yet for live trading with other algos.
Thanks again!

Problem solved. I divided it in two individual algos. Not the ideal thing to do, but it will work until you make some changes to the Q system.
Thanks!

Thanks for the update.
Another instance: I switched to schedule_function and that solved 'Execution timeout' for me.
Was hitting this with as many as a mere 40 symbols using symbols(). Even though I was filtering/processing only a limited number of minutes in handle_data, the server didn't know that and was gathering up mondo history (10,800 records with high/low/close for a 90 day window).
Had resisted moving to schedule_function because it was easier before to change one number to go from trading every 10 minutes to every 60 or 97 (4 per day). (For any newbie, schedule_function now runs everything that was in handle_data in a new function). Also only grabbing the full 90 days of history on the first bar and then 1 after that (c.prices = pd.concat([c.prices, c.prices2])) where c = context, c.prices2 is the new 1 bar history, and c.prices = c.prices.ix[-history_wndw:] to trim to size dropping the old first record set). history_update() something to think about.

When using schedule_function(), consider pulling everything out of handle_data(), expect 'pass' (unless you actually need to do something 390 times per day).

@Adrian I had sent you a private message yesterday, let me know if you didn't receive it. But glad you were able to get it running!