Quantopian's community platform is shutting down. Please read this post for more information and download your code.
Back to Community
Coursera's Computational Investing Class Begins Feb 22

I though people might be interested in this class: https://www.coursera.org/course/compinvesting1

It was taught at the end of 2012, but they made improvements and are starting another round in a couple weeks. It's taught using Python also, so it should be pretty relevant.

12 responses

This class from Columbia might also be interesting: https://www.coursera.org/course/fe
It starts Feb 24th

I'm planning on taking the computational investing course. I'd love to work with you when we get going!

Thanks for the heads up @Michael

Hey guys, we (at Quantopian) would love to hear your feedback about how relevant you find our tools for those classes, especially the computational investing one. We'll probably have some people taking it too!

Disclaimer

The material on this website is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute an offer to sell, a solicitation to buy, or a recommendation or endorsement for any security or strategy, nor does it constitute an offer to provide investment advisory services by Quantopian. In addition, the material offers no opinion with respect to the suitability of any security or specific investment. No information contained herein should be regarded as a suggestion to engage in or refrain from any investment-related course of action as none of Quantopian nor any of its affiliates is undertaking to provide investment advice, act as an adviser to any plan or entity subject to the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974, as amended, individual retirement account or individual retirement annuity, or give advice in a fiduciary capacity with respect to the materials presented herein. If you are an individual retirement or other investor, contact your financial advisor or other fiduciary unrelated to Quantopian about whether any given investment idea, strategy, product or service described herein may be appropriate for your circumstances. All investments involve risk, including loss of principal. Quantopian makes no guarantees as to the accuracy or completeness of the views expressed in the website. The views are subject to change, and may have become unreliable for various reasons, including changes in market conditions or economic circumstances.

I really recommend taking the Computational Investing class in it's second iteration.

The first iteration of the course was a great introduction but definitely a work in progress. The course started with Excel modelling of a basic investing strategy to maximise the sharp and sortino ratios. The class continued with backtesting and event modelling using QSTK. Many students dropped out because of an insufficient introduction to python and pandas. This should now be improved in the second iteration.

I look forward to taking the class again and using the skills in Quantopian and Zipline.

Sounds good, I'm looking forward to it and using Quantopian along the way.

+1 and signed up

I wonder if they could setup QSTK on quantopian?

Pablo,

We could include the library, but it wouldn't be possible to see the matplot lib output from it. So I'm afraid it wouldn't really suit your purpose.

Disclaimer

The material on this website is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute an offer to sell, a solicitation to buy, or a recommendation or endorsement for any security or strategy, nor does it constitute an offer to provide investment advisory services by Quantopian. In addition, the material offers no opinion with respect to the suitability of any security or specific investment. No information contained herein should be regarded as a suggestion to engage in or refrain from any investment-related course of action as none of Quantopian nor any of its affiliates is undertaking to provide investment advice, act as an adviser to any plan or entity subject to the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974, as amended, individual retirement account or individual retirement annuity, or give advice in a fiduciary capacity with respect to the materials presented herein. If you are an individual retirement or other investor, contact your financial advisor or other fiduciary unrelated to Quantopian about whether any given investment idea, strategy, product or service described herein may be appropriate for your circumstances. All investments involve risk, including loss of principal. Quantopian makes no guarantees as to the accuracy or completeness of the views expressed in the website. The views are subject to change, and may have become unreliable for various reasons, including changes in market conditions or economic circumstances.

Awesome, signed up!

Also, signed up.

@Warren BuffettBot: I would like to use Quantopian, zipline as much as possible too. I haven't really taken a look at the QSTK software but I wonder how much overlap with zipline it has. Can you tell me how they compare?