Quantopian's community platform is shutting down. Please read this post for more information and download your code.
Back to Community
Bring This Simple Algorithm To Life (52-weeks-low + brand or popular stocks)

Hello guys,

I just joined and I still have a lot to learn so I decided to share my manual algorithm that I'm using and also ask if somebody can help to create the algorithm here to back test it in history to see how efficient it's or I'm just lucky.

It's really simple one:
Find brand stocks something that many people use or it's very popular and not unknown company for example Apple, Netflix, Disney etc

e.g. recently TripAdvisor a worldwide brand that's unlikely to go away anytime soon was close to 52 weeks low you buy it and hold it until it's profitable and sell lets say 10-20% percentage depends on how cheap you bought it or close to the 52 weeks low. (I actually bought it few days ago and up 3%)

Other examples for that Tesco dropped really heavy 6-12 months ago and also Pixlar those companies go down big time but that company will not never go away keep it for 1 year and you're sure to be in green.

The algorithm steps I suppose:

1. list "brand or well known" companies that are close to 52 week low buy them, if it goes even more down buy more. Because it's hard to find the best price moment and if it's cheap and gets cheaper get more.
  2. keep it for at least 10-20% profit.

Would love to hear your thoughts
Thanks

2 responses

You'd have to define what you mean by brand or well known. Using Q500 as the universe should bring up the biggest companies. You could also pick specific sectors, such as technology or media, to get well known consumer brands.

@Eric Looked into Q500 not sure it covers what I consider, but I can see that it's possible to create a custom filter to find those companies will look into filters. thanks.