Quantopian's community platform is shutting down. Please read this post for more information and download your code.
Back to Community
17553% return

Looking through the leader board I noticed that max draw-down of all the entries is zero. How important is this as a measure of a good algorithm?

This backtest I made the other night produces 17553% returns between 2013-15, I wondered how effectively measures such as sharpe, beta and volatility can judge algorithms when the past returns seem so good?

Finally, I wondered what the highest% returns you guys can get (in the same 2year period) for fun.

2 responses

Hi Edward,
The reason this algorithm has such huge returns is because it borrows and invests about 50x its capital base, so it's leveraged to the hilt. That kind of leverage is unrealistic in the equities market, but the backtesting engine assumes the user manages the margin/leverage accounting and allows you to borrow as much as you please.

Your code is actually correct as written, the reason the borrowing occurred is because orders were being placed when there were already open orders that had not filled yet due the slippage model used. I added a line to check for open orders, and recorded your leverage, that seems to fix the issue.

The various metrics like Sharpe and drawdown are pretty important, they give you an idea of how consistent a strategy is. For example, imagine you could borrow infinite capital and you invested in your algorithm above, there was a drawdown of 271% at one point, that would be pretty gut wrenching to experience in a real trading scenario.

Thanks for sharing!

best,
David

Hi Edward,
Before the last leaderboard update I made a quick code change that inadvertently resulted in all the max drawdown being equal to 0%. I'm fixing that tonight to be the same calculation as was prior to this.

Thanks for your understanding,
Justin

Disclaimer

The material on this website is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute an offer to sell, a solicitation to buy, or a recommendation or endorsement for any security or strategy, nor does it constitute an offer to provide investment advisory services by Quantopian. In addition, the material offers no opinion with respect to the suitability of any security or specific investment. No information contained herein should be regarded as a suggestion to engage in or refrain from any investment-related course of action as none of Quantopian nor any of its affiliates is undertaking to provide investment advice, act as an adviser to any plan or entity subject to the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974, as amended, individual retirement account or individual retirement annuity, or give advice in a fiduciary capacity with respect to the materials presented herein. If you are an individual retirement or other investor, contact your financial advisor or other fiduciary unrelated to Quantopian about whether any given investment idea, strategy, product or service described herein may be appropriate for your circumstances. All investments involve risk, including loss of principal. Quantopian makes no guarantees as to the accuracy or completeness of the views expressed in the website. The views are subject to change, and may have become unreliable for various reasons, including changes in market conditions or economic circumstances.